Escambia County Geocaching Tour
The City of Pensacola, Escambia County and the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) have partnered together to bring participants the Escambia County Geocaching Tour . This tour is designed to route participants around the area's major restoration projects, environmental habitats, and innovative environmental solutions. The tour includes:
- Admiral Mason Park
- Big Escambia Creek
- Big Lagoon State Park
- Fillingim Landing
- Glynn Key (No Night Visits, please)
- Jones Swamp (No Night Visits, please)
- Pensacola Beach
- Perdido Key
- Plaza DeLuna
- Tarklin Bayou
- Project Greenshores
- The Big Escambia Creek Restoration Project returning the Big Escambia Creek to its original flow.
- Project GreenShores, the award winning project to restore oyster, saltmarsh and seagrass habitat to Pensacola Bay.
- Admiral Mason Park, with its beautiful pond, fountains and walkways that not only adds to the beautiful sites of Pensacola but also serves as a stormwater treatment system for the surrounding 31 acres.
- The unique habitat of Perdido Pitcher Plant Prairie. Located west of Pensacola, the Prairie supports one of the largest strands of white-top pitcher plants in Florida.
- Three of Florida's Award Winning State Parks which highlight the beautiful and unique habitats in our area.
- Cutting edge stormwater retrofit projects, such as the Glynn Key Stormwater Park at Southgate Plaza which turned a traditional stormwater pond into a county wetland park in the middle of a commercial development.
- Pensacola Beach, a barrier island that offers Florida's whitest sand beaches and sea oat covered dunes.
Please remember to visit www.geocaching.com to register for an account and log your visits. Visit the Escambia County Geocaching Tour page for more information and a color guide sheet. Here are some resources to help new Geocachers:
- Geocaching 101 from Geocaching.com
- Logging a Geocache Find on Geocaching.com
- Cache In Trash Out - the Geocacher's Environmental Initiative
For more information about the progress of the City-involved Restore projects, see the City of Pensacola Restore Projects Page.
Other Geocaching Adventures
Explore Pensacola GeoTour
Visit Pensacola sponsors the Explore Pensacola GeoTour. This tour is made up of four different trails throughout the Pensacola Bay Area. The trails take participants on an adventure to discover the diverse landscape and history of our beautiful destination. This is an educational tour which covers the geocache trails. Find more information at Visit Pensacola or on the Geocaching website.
To participate in the UWF Geocache Tour, stop by the Welcome Center ~ Building 81 to pick up a visitor’s parking permit and nab one cache before hunting for other caches on campus. For more information about UWF's Geocache Tour, please see Shaun Boren, Assistant Director of Outdoor Adventures, at 850-474-2819 or email@example.com.
The DARC Geo-Trail
Discover Florida history through museums and archaeological sites in the DARC Geo-Trail. DARC stands for Destination Archaeology Resource Center, the museum at the FPAN Coordinating Center. FPAN has hidden geocaches at participating sites across Northwest Florida to form a geotrail called DARC Geo-Trail. All the sites on this geotrail are connected to Florida archaeology and are featured in the Road Trip Through Florida Archaeology exhibit at the Destination Archaeology! Resource Center in Pensacola, FL.